Monday, July 11, 2011

Back to high heels?

After 2.5 years of collecting unemployment, working part time jobs and freelancing in the marketing field, I have a full-time job which begins on July 18.  To say I am excited is putting it lightly.

Wisely I've spent all of my "down time" from work as a learning opportunity, attending webinars on the latest in SEO, social media marketing, and taken a few courses in .html, business ethics, and web based copy writing - all to keep me up to date and ready to hit the ground running.  Marketing strategies are becoming more and more web based and if you miss something you're at a serious disadvantage.

One of the new pairs of  high heels
I bought - love them!
High heels...to me they represent fulfillment of a "dream" for lack of a better word.  I am going to be working - in my industry to boot - and able to add value to my new employer. 

I do feel a bit anxious, but also raring to go.  I can again represent a company I am proud of and earn a paycheck based on my hard work; and contribute more equally to the income flowing into my household.

Yes, I know unemployment is there and was there when I needed it, but I always felt like I was taking a hand out.  I vowed I'd sleep in my car before I would take any further hand outs after my unemployment benefits were exhausted.  Hence my working part time at a coffee cafe', a job similar to what I did as a teenager. I am not too proud nor ever was to do any job it takes to take care of my family.

My husband has been an endless source of support - giving me pep talks during the long job search, sitting quietly in the office with me while I did some of my freelance copy writing, helping around the house.

So I am again dipping the toe of my high heeled shoe back into the marketing waters...and I'm going to love every  minute of it.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy breaking your new heels in! I wish you much success!

    ReplyDelete