Thursday, July 7, 2011

Surviving the summer while working from home


 Whew, its hot. As I type this its a scorching 91 degrees outside.

My first thoughts during the summer always roam to a visit to the shoreline, some cold iced tea, a good book, and I never forget the sunscreen.  This all changes when you work from home.

As I said in a previous post, time management is key when you work for yourself.  Nothing is going to get done if you play hooky, put on your bathing suit and run through the sprinkler; there are no co-workers to cover for you. 

Currently I have 2 projects and 1 part-time job so dedication and a good work ethic are in order.  I've always been dedicated and fiercely loyal to my employers so why should that change now that my boss is me?  That's right, it doesn't. 
Dash, my favorite co-worker
However, distractions abound - a puppy that needs attention and taken out for potty breaks, a pile of laundry beckoning me to be washed, planning for dinner, grocery shopping, mowing the lawn, etc., etc, etc.  Maybe I can teach my puppy to type - now that would be a feat and an idea for a business.  And a puppy is a great co-worker.  They are always happy to see you and are awfully cute; and they will work for kibble and a pat on the head.

Work comes first, choosing which particular project needs immediate attention and spreading my time evenly amongst my deadlines.  Plus the added need to track mileage and expenses, send invoices and confirm receipt and follow up to ensure payment.

I've become somewhat of a "hermit" for lack of a better description.  I spend my days inside at my desk, writing, researching, and processing invoices and purchase orders.  My source of outdoors is a window in front of my desk and those puppy potty breaks I mentioned. 

My feedback and employee "review" is knowing the work I've done meets approval and even exceeds expectations.  And that is enough to keep me going and striving to do the best work I can.

So next time you are sitting at your desk - be it at home or in an office - remember that shoreline, some cold iced tea, and a good book aren't going anywhere and will be ready for you when your work day is over. 

And don't forget that sunscreen!

1 comment:

  1. I really like your line: "I've always been dedicated and fiercely loyal to my employers so why should that change now that my boss is me? That's right, it doesn't." Being dedicated and fiercely loyal to yourself is something we should always be, both personally and professionally!

    And you do have the cutest co-worker ever! Go Dash!

    ReplyDelete