Monday, June 13, 2011

Waving goodbye to the cafe' and lessons learned

Now that I have entered the new world of being a consultant, I was able to leave the cafe'.

I was surprised by my mixed feelings.  I was actually a bit sad, I had met so many people and forged some new friendships, one in particular I have become very close to.  And I'm grateful that after searching for some sort of a part-time job for so many months that someone hired me.

Kidding aside, the cafe' taught me some valuable lessons:
  1. Don't ever think you are above something.  I never thought I was, but this definitely solidified it.
  2. Money is money, it doesn't matter where it comes from.  As long as you can pay your bills, be grateful.
  3. Don't ever feel too badly for yourself - there's always someone who has it tougher than you think you do or ever will.
  4. Always try to learn something from every situation you're in.  Those new cash registers are pretty cool. (I can remember the ones with the actual levers and having to count back change on your own - gasp I just dated myself!)
  5. Take pride in your work.  Even if its making coffee, make it to the best of your ability.  Effort - no matter how small it may seem - is always noticed and appreciated.
  6. No matter how many nice people you meet, there's always a bad one that comes along.  They can ruin your day if you let them.  Words can sting, but let them bounce off of you.  Kill those people with kindness, it not only makes you the better person but it ticks them off!
I will miss the cafe' and all of the headaches that like any job, came with it.  I did enjoy training the teenagers and the daily interaction with people from all walks of life.  Heck, I even had a few people who wanted to date me - certainly not going to happen, but good for the ego!

Having a job where you are appreciated and welcome back at any time is also a comfort.  So remember, never burn any bridge, even if you can jump across the water below.

No comments:

Post a Comment