Monday, June 6, 2011

"Traffic" as a freelancer working from home

My husband faces "traffic" every weekday morning when he goes to work.  Traffic?  Ah, I remember that.  Yuck.

Gone are the days of me in my car - thankfully an automatic at the time - where I would grip the wheel out of frustration and silently whisper under my breath what I thought of the driver who cut me off.  After a while frustration was replaced with me bopping and singing along to music, oblivious to the anger and sometimes aggressiveness of those around me.  My seemingly nonchalant reaction to traffic drove my husband and everyone else I knew crazy, but after 15 years of it, I decided to make the best of my car time and belt out all those guilty pleasure songs I would be embarrassed to admit to even liking.  And no I'm not going to tell you what those songs are. 

My co-worker anxiously awaiting
my return to the office
Working from home my "traffic" consists of trying not to trip over the cat or step on the dog as they frantically fight for my attention.  Avoiding the frequent stopping and going of traffic is now averted by stuffing a series of pillows under the chair the dog always gets his toys caught under.  If I forget to set up my creative road block he whimpers and circles around my chair until I get down on all fours and rescue the toy - inconvenient if I'm in the middle of a thought or sentence, or frankly anything else.

Actually my days in my home office make a comical parallel to days in an actual office with real people.  Not animals. 

The lazy co-worker
Coffee breaks now consist of sitting on the floor and playing fetch or taking the dog out for a walk around the yard; or rescuing the cat and carrying her to a room where a playful puppy isn't trying to nibble on her toes.

Meetings now consist of me talking to myself while working out a sentence in my head.  No co-workers except the dog and human co-workers don't play with distracting squeaky toys.

Lunch is often at my desk while working.  I also did that when I worked for a company so that's actually not a major change.  But wandering down to my kitchen and standing in front of the fridge trying to decide what to make is a change.  I don't have to eat out of a paper bag, I can make an actual lunch.  And not have to spend hard-earned money on "I'll just run out this one time and get a sandwich".  Money miraculously disappears faster than you can count in this lunchtime trap; also another peril I avoid while at home.

I hope that someday I will be working in an actual office again, and I will be able to approach it with some new-found tricks...oops hold on a second.  The dog got through the pillow barrier and needs his toy back.  Ah, that's better.  My ability to stay even more disciplined and focused in order to get a good day's work in.  Approaching work with a fresher attitude and more creativity.  Enhanced communication skills from representing myself to clients. 

Would I enjoy freelancing for a living?  Yes I would.  Would I be willing to go back to a corporate environment?  Yes I would.  I'm grateful for this nice reprieve and what it's teaching me; and in today's economy exceedingly happy to have a job.

1 comment: