Friday, May 27, 2011

Being the "mom" at the cafe' and teaching self respect

I am older, I admit it.  I am 43 years old.  The majority of the girls I work with are my daughter's age, from 17 upwards to about 22.  So naturally I have motherly feelings toward them and treat them like my children.  "Wait honey, don't lift that its too heavy - let me help you."  "Why don't you take the cart so you can make 1 trip instead of 3?"  "Hold on, you need to let the boss know that you can't work on Sunday like you told him last week.  Don't be taken advantage of you need the day off and you requested it."  and the ever popular "Take a break honey, you need to eat."

This chatter happens every day that I work, and the girls - I think - for the most part, enjoy being "coddled".  After all, who couldn't mother a rosy-cheeked, wide eyed young lady on the path to adulthood? 

I'd like to think that I have made a small contribution to these girls by instilling a sense of responsibility and most of all, self worth by teaching them to speak up appropriately and not get walked on.  Many older adults can be condescending, especially to teenagers.  That is exactly the wrong message to send, how can young adults learn to respect their elders if we don't show them respect in kind?

I've always thought that every person should waiter/waitress for at least 6 months during their life.  Nothing teaches humility and the ability to put up with people's idiosyncrasies better than having to serve them a meal; nor does it take a self-centered, immature person long to realize they are not the center of the universe.  I waitressed and was an assistant manager at a Friendly's restaurant during my senior year in high school and during college as well.  I have an instant reaction to people who are not kind to their waiter/waitress or other people who help them such as a cashier; disgust and annoyance.  I am disappointed in their lack of manners and common sense.  Remember no matter what you do someone will be waiting on you and you will be waiting on someone.  Always treat people with respect, the way you expect to be treated.

Regardless of what type of work these girls end up doing, I hope they stand up for themselves and portray themselves as responsible, intelligent adults who are capable of handling anything that comes their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment